Is this the future of work?
A new pay-by-the-hour co-work space and cocktail lounge launched in Shoreditch, with no membership fee, offers full flexibility and total independence, encouraging work and play over two floors…
The new work environment has continued to evolve. The big challenge is to find ways to suit those who are self-employed, small business owners and freelancers. Co-working spaces with monthly desk rents and contracts have appeared across the UK encouraging the so-called ‘start up generation’ to go it alone. But rents and contracts are the opposite of complete freedom and with the number of self-employed on the rise, a no membership work and play workspace is surely the only solution. This September, Shoreditch welcomed Shoreditch Platform, a co-work space and cocktail lounge spread across two floors. The venue is also ideal for businesses of all sizes who employ staff who often work remotely or attend meetings in London and have time to spare before traveling on.
Shoreditch is the first location for this pay-by-the-hour co-work space and cocktail lounge and the plan is to launch others with good transport links like this one.
The building was once Shoreditch’s train station building and many original features have been maintained. Today, Shoreditch Platform is a station for working and entertaining, a platform to grow businesses and relationships. The venue has been designed to offer guests a platform to enhance their careers. The top floor lounge and bar is also a platform for group daytime and evening activities.
OPEN DAILY, Monday-Wednesday 08.00 – 23.30, Thursday 08.00 – 00.30, Friday 08.00 – 01.30,
Saturday 11.00 – 01.30 and Sunday 11.00 – 23.30.
The venue is located at 1 Kingsland Road, at the junction between Old Street and Shoreditch High Street.
FIRST FLOOR – Workspace / Meeting room / Telephone booths
- £5 + VAT hourly fee, come and go as you please, simply buy the time and use it on a pay as you go basis. Guests have access to both floors
- ‘Workspace’ floor covers 1,076 Sq Ft. where guests can simply plug in at one of 27 individual workstations The ‘Workspace’ includes a meeting room for up to six people available from £15 + VAT hourly
- The ‘Workspace’ includes three telephone booths designed with privacy in mind, with landline phones that include free local calls
- Reception, Wi-Fi, USB and sockets, printing and photocopying all available
TOP FLOOR – The Lounge and bar
- £5 + VAT hourly fee, come and go as you please, as above, simply buy the time and use on a pay
as you go basis. Guests have access to both floors
- Complimentary barista made coffee and tea for those who have purchased time on their card
- Invite up to two guests for one hour when the main guest has purchased time on their cards
- Open plan lounge covers 1,292 Sq Ft. with a more informal and casual seating area
- Larger tables for groups and creative breakouts
- Bar open all day serving breakfast, lunch and dinner light menus and coffees.
- A juice bar is also open throughout the day and the bar is fully licensed with cocktails, beers, wines and champagne available.
HOW IT WORKS
Guests visit and are given a card, similar to a travel card, which can then be topped up online or at Shoreditch Platform. Guests can then pay per hour, for access to the co-work and cocktail lounge priced £5 + VAT. A full day is capped at £35 + VAT. The IT system has been designed bespoke for Shoreditch Platform and will evolve in the coming months to offer a weekly and monthly pass, again similar to a travel card. For individuals or businesses wanting to purchase packages, the launch prices are offered as follows: from £100 + VAT weekly unlimited access and from £200 + VAT monthly unlimited access. When card holders arrive at Shoreditch Platform they simply swipe their card and away they go.
DAY TO NIGHT ACTIVITIES
Early mornings offer a selection of activities in The Lounge including weekly pilates and yoga. The schedule will develop throughout the winter. A DJ plays most evenings including Fridays and Saturdays and The Lounge offers a wide selection of cocktails including Pisco Sour and the Shoreditch Sour (bourbon, lemon juice, ginger cordial, angostura bitters and egg white). In all 15 cocktails are available priced £9.50. Wine by the glass is priced £5.40 and Champagne by the glass £10.50. Shoreditch Platform is also available for exclusive use and can be hired for evening events.